- Building Better Research Relationships Scholars from mainstream institutions too often see Native peoples simply as a source of data. A recent webinar outlined the problem and offered strategies for researchers who work with indigenous communities.
- Being a Good Ancestor Native communities must become leaders in the fight against climate change. “I see this as a crisis,” said Winona LaDuke in an address to the National Tribal and Indigenous Climate Change conference.
- Listen First Salish Kootenai College’s new Indigenous Research Center draws on the expertise of Native scholars nationwide.
- The Backroad to Broadband Internet is essential for education and economic development, yet many reservation homes still can’t get online. Unable to wait, tribes and tribal colleges are working to provide reliable and affordable internet for their communities.
- Building Connections Most tribal college IT departments are understaffed and rely on outdated equipment. However, there are cost effective ways to overcome cyberinfrastructure limitations, according to a recently completed study.
- STEM Educators Discuss NSF Grant Opportunities In a virtual meeting of TCUP-funded institutions, NSF announces extended deadlines for proposals and offers advice for proposal writing and grant management.
- Speak Truth, Teach Compassion, Build Communities With the nation at a crossroads, the larger purpose of higher education must be remembered and restored. Tribal colleges can help lead the way.
- Printing Protection Two tribal colleges are using their 3D printers to manufacture protective face masks for local health workers.
- Coronavirus Updates The latest news related to COVID-19 responses at tribal colleges and within Native communities: Colleges celebrate graduations online; number of cases on Navajo Nation exceed 6,000; colleges maintain online instruction though summer [Updated June 9]
- Tribal Colleges Prepare for the Coronavirus Multiple colleges are now restricting travel. Northwest Indian College closed for a day of staff training. Conferences are canceled as concern grows. [Story updated March 13]
Native Science Report’s 2019-2020 Student Research Showcase is featuring the work of five undergraduate students from tribal and Native-serving colleges.